Link Love
Tiny Prints

If Labor was a Salsa, Mine Would Be Mild

After three weeks and much patience from my dear Internet peeps, I now present to you the story of Brennan's birth...a modest version so as not to scare anyone away from motherhood.  As it is, if my story was salsa, it would be mild, so no need to get too wound up.

First, if you didn't read my post, "You'll Never Guess Where I Am", you'll need to start with that first 'cause I'm gonna pick up there.  My only addition to that segment of the day is that while I waited for Matt in the doctor's office hooked up to the fetal monitor, I was amazingly filled with much peace.  It was so fun to lay there and make phone calls to our friends and family members telling them that our little "Polka" was on his way! 

Before leaving home, Matt put last minute things into my overnight bag and arranged for our kind neighbors, Rob and Leah, to check on Molly and give her some TLC throughout the weekend.  Matt got to the doctor's office with my bag and a Cheshire grin about an hour after I called him telling him he was going to be a daddy that day.  It felt very surreal as we exited the back door to the doctor's office so we didn't have to traipse through the waiting room with all eyes on us and our bag to walk over to the hospital.  At that point, it was around 10 a.m., my contractions were 4-5 minutes apart, I was 3 cm dilated, and on a scale of 1-10 for pain, it was a 1 or 2.  Not bad.  I can do this thang!  Uh, yeah right.  <grin>

I was all dollied up in my gorgeous hospital gown.  My nurse (who ended up really getting on my nerves with how many times she came into my room--I think I was her only patient that day) got my IV started; Matt retrieved my focal point (a picture of Molly and my stuffed Molly); and he started playing one of my favorite albums, Jen.  Around 10:30, my doctor stopped by to say 'hi' and check on me; what a welcomed and reassuring face!  The next time he came by was around noon, and I was still 3 cm dilated.  So we decided to jump start the action and knock me up with Pitocin and he broke my water.  Now I understand why it would be a nightmare to be in public when your water breaks.  Yikes!

Being the dedicated addicP1000125ted blogger that I am, I was determined to get a post out to let you dear folks know what was happening.  Here is me still in my nearly pain-free happy state getting the news out to you.   NOTE:  It is currently 1:30 a.m. as I'm typing this, and I have no discernment, discretion, or forethought to realize I just  posted one of the most grotesque pictures of me...ever.

Moving about 1 p.m., a special visitor arrived:  my Momma!  It was so fun to see her face and she looked so pretty.  That was one of the coldest winter Austin days, and she had a black scarf on with her Texas A&M sweatshirt (it was college day at her school); all bundled up was she.  The three of us chatted while my contractions steadily increased in degree of pain and frequency. 

Just about the time that I asked Matt to bring out Uno to play (the same 25 year old Uno set of Gaga's we'd play with all the time), my contractions were of the nature that my full concentration and effort needed to go in controlling them.  So no Uno.  The pain seemed to jump to an 8 quite quickly.  Granted, my whole pain scale is subjective, and I admit that I am a wimp when it comes to pain.  That said however, I was in pain.  I didn't know when my cervix would be checked next to find out how far along I was and how much longer I'd be in labor.  Did I say I was in pain?  Really?  Did I say that?  You know, right?  That I was in pain?  Yes, pain. 

I wondered if I was actually in the transition phase because I kept telling Matt, "I can't do this!", which is what our childbirth instructor said I would be declaring during such a phase.  Matt was a faithful coach and kept telling me, "You can do this!", letting me squeeze his hand...or the handle bar of the bed.  But the thought of not knowing if I still had 7 cm to go and how long I'd be at this was sending me over the edge.  Plus, I couldn't stay on top of the contractions; they were coming too fast and I was losing control.  Thirty minutes later (around 3:30 p.m.), I had the blessed epidural, which made the rest of labor fun and memorable.  Not only that, but I got an awesome new labor and delivery nurse who made the whole experience that much better!  

Soon after the epidural set in, we found out that I was about 6 cm dilated.  I was quite relieved that my pain was not in vain and it actually accomplished something.  But I had not been in the transition phase, so by golly, I could not imagine what the rest of labor would have felt like.  I shutter to imagine.  I was a happy, relaxed camper, chatting away with Matt and Momma and able to calm down a bit and relax.  Next thing I knew, it was 5:15 p.m. and I was 9 cm dilated.  Nine!  That went fast; this baby was a comin'!  My doctor was ready to go home for the day, but after finding out I was already 9 cm, he decided to stay and do the delivery himself.  After prepping myself that Brennan would be born over the weekend when my doctor wasn't on call, can you imagine my rejoicing and excitement at the blessing that the Lord gave us in His perfect timing!?  In addition, it had been a short, "mild" labor...another huge answer to prayer!

At 5:15 p.m., it was time to start pushing.  My Daddy arrived just in time to come in a say a quick 'hello'.  He and Momma stood outside our door the rest of the time waiting in eager expectation to be introduced to either their grandson or granddaughter.  Because of the sweet epidural, I can quite honestly say that pushing was a lot of fun to me.  It was invigorating.  I had two awesome cheerleaders:  Matt and our delivery nurse.  My left leg was a lot more numb than my right, so I definitely needed help with my legs.  And all sense of modesty was out the window hours ago...make that months ago!  I pushed for about an hour and fifteen minutes before my doctor and a whole slew of new people walked in my door.  It was like a party...with a bunch of strangers!  The pressure was getting more intense, and I'll just say I did leave with stitches.  I had one more big push and I was so eager to get Brennan out that I wanted to just go for it.  I'm sure my doctor chuckled because everyone's response was, "No, wait for the next contraction; you're gonna need its help."  Ok fine, it gave me a moment to catch my breath.  Then, "PUSH!"  The biggest physical relief of my life came moments later when our little boy was born.  At 6:47 p.m. 

Matt knew the gender of course, because of his position, and our doctor let Matt hold him and then present baby Brennan to me saying, "We have a little boy!"  I'll admit, part of me was a shocked it was a boy and then part of me wasn't.  Just as some couples have to adjust when finding out the gender during pregnancy, I had a few moments to adjust in realizing I had a boy.  A boy?  I had no idea what to do with a boy!  And everyone kept thinking it was a girl.  As the reality settled in, I was overcome by the emotion and magnitude of realizing that God's best had just been presented to me.  For whatever reason, the Lord set apart this precious boy to be my firstborn.  Humbled.  Thankful.  Part of me was even ashamed and guilty, fearful of the feelings I was having for adjusting to having a boy.  But the deeper realization of knowing there is a greater purpose in the Lord choosing and giving us a baby boy was like a waterfall of delight and rejoicing.  He was made for me, and I for him.

I always pictured a baby boy coming out with dark hair, but my little one had light, blonde hair and (so far) deep, blue eyes.  Such a handsome fella!

The whole day was a highlight.  I was truly grateful at how things all fell into place.  It was so much more than I could ever have asked for or imagined (Ephesians 3:20-21)!  One of the things I was set on after delivery:  eating a burger, fries and a chocolate malt!  I hadn't eaten anything since dinner the prior night.  I'm one of those women who makes doctor's appointments first thing in the morning and will wait to eat breakfast until after being weighed.  So I was starving!  I downed that scrumptious burger from EZ's that my parents picked up in a matter of minutes.  It was the best tastin' burger ever!

My parents had gone back to San Antonio until Sunday, so Matt and I leaned a great deal on each other that first weekend in the hospital.  We learned a lot, and I can't tell you how long it took us to dress Brennan in his simple coming home outfit!  The poor guy burned all his calories from his prior meal by crying the whole time we were fussin' with him.  But we got the guy home, and are celebrating his 3 week birthday today.  We can't wait to meet Uncle Mac and Aunt Julie this afternoon!  We're having a belated birthday celebration for Uncle Mac as well.

This post is a bit long, so I'll save the rest of my answers to your questions for one more post.  Then I'll be all caught up.  Hope ya'll have a great weekend!  Thanks for stopping by and many blessings!

Picture 018


AWWWW...I love labor stories!! It just brings tingles of excitement all over me! I LOVE him so much already and it is so hard not to have seen him yet. When I'm there I clam him...ha!! KISSES AND HUGS

He just gets cuter, doesn't he?! I love his hair! Oh, Megan, he's just perfect! (And Miss Molly looks beautiful there in the background!)

I giggled when I read about how long it took to dress him the first time! We were the same way. I was so afraid that I was going to "break" our little fellow. And putting him in the carseat the first time was no party, either! :)

I'm so glad y'all are doing well! I love seeing the pictures that you post! Hope you're getting some rest!

That is wonderful! Thank you soooo much for posting your birth story and I am soooo glad it went smoothly! With love, Sara

So glad it was pretty smooth. the Lord plans well! :) Brennan is soooo cute. and I see Molly watching carefully over him!

Thank you for sharing - I'm glad you had such a smooth labor and delivery! He's such an angel!

Love it! Meg, Brennan is such a doll! That is a darling picture of him. We can't wait to meet him. I was surprised my my blondie too :) Before Guy was born, Jonathan even had a dream that Guy came out with dark hair and looked just like me. Ha! And that picture of you is NOT grotesque. Your hair is perfect and you are, in fact, in the middle of labor looking quite beautiful while typing on your computer. Much more impressive than most women. Thanks for sharing!

He is just so precious! I cannot get over more question...did the epidural hurt???

I have to agree with Corrie...I think that picture is cute! You make pregnancy look good. :) I teared up reading your beautiful story of the day Brennan was born. I can't wait to meet him in October!!!

I loved hearing the story. Isn't it amazing to look back and think that you gave birth--you did it! After giving birth, I was really longing for a Dr. Pepper, so my parents brought us take out, too. Thanks for the bonus pic of Brennan; he is too adorable!

I'm so glad to hear that your experience was positive. :-)

I always craved cold fried chicken (my mom's recipe) and a yogurt after I birthed. That burger sounds good though too!

Thank you so much for sharing such an intimate story. I am truly so happy for all four of you! (I'm including Molly, of course.)

He is so beautiful - like a perfect doll - what an expression of God's handiwork!

LOVE that sweet story and the picture! :)

HE's beautiful! Congratulations. :)

Your birth story was wonderful! I teared up when you were talking about finding out he was a boy. So sweet.

The comments to this entry are closed.